If you are using a setup which is limited by the number of channels, there are cheap options available for you to consider. This Behringer XENYX502 5-Channel Mixer review will inform you of the benefits and drawbacks of using a simplified standalone mixer with your setup.
Unless you are using standalone equipment already, odds are that you have some sort of all-in-one MIDI controller which has a limited number of channels and/or outputs for you to connect to various PA systems. These DJs, as well as any that are wanting a little more headroom, could benefit from having a Behringer XENYX502 5-Channel Mixer.
THE BEHRINGER XENYX502 5-CHANNEL MIXER
Why Would a DJ Want a Mixer Like This?
If you have experience as a resident DJ, odds are that you have already worked with equipment similar to this to connect to your venue’s PA system. The device could have been a humble design like this, or a glamorous 25+ channel soundboard.
Regardless, this is the same technology being used. Having something like this will quickly prove your usefulness as the “sound guy” when you show up at a venue with little-to-no sound system.
If you are a mobile DJ, something small like this can prove to be a much easier way to provide music for a wedding ceremony, and can save setup time when you have to later move your equipment to the reception area.
Not the Best Mixer, but a Great Tool to Have
This isn’t the best Behringer mixer you can purchase, and this isn’t even remotely close to the best mixer you can purchase. If you are looking for a best mixer review, check out our Top DJ Mixers for Beginners article.
This is, however, a wonderful tool that will prove itself worthy to your setup. If you are currently limited by channels, line inputs, headroom, microphone inputs, instrument inputs (yes, you will need these), or connectivity in general, this mixer will give you plenty of space to play around with your setup to connect everything you need to your PA system.
Useful Features of the Behringer XENYX502 5-Channel Mixer
The Behringer XENYX502 5-Channel Mixer will not be a tool that will drag down your sound quality. With a wide frequency response of 10Hz to over 200kHz, odds are that a different part of your setup will be doing this.
Unless you have dedicated microphone channel on your mixer, you probably have difficulty using a great “DJ voice” when making announcements. Although this is something that can take years to develop, having a dedicated channel complete with its own EQs and Gains will surely be helpful during this learning process.
Most professional DJs make their voices sound better using EQs and other FX. A tool as simple as the Behringer XENYX 502 5-Channel Mixer can help you to do the same.
XENYX mixers are notorious for having great mic preamp technology, which is furthermore useful to DJs who assist in live shows and performances. No matter how unfair it may seem, any sound-related issue will be blamed on the DJ, making it that much more important to use quality and reliable equipment.
I Only See Three Channels, How Can They Advertise Five?
Yes, on first look you will notice that there is a dedicated channel for your microphone (which you can also use to connect an instrument), and two other line input channels. However, keeping in mind the difference between mono and stereo, remember that channel “2/3” and “4/5” can actually be used as four separate mono channels.
All you would need to do is use the balance knob to focus the mixer on either the L or R line input that you connected, and adjust the gain to give you the volume you want. Since it is mono, however, remember that many of sound effects in your tracks might be distorted or lost altogether.
Also, be sure to note the “2-Track” RCA inputs and outputs. These function essentially the same as the ¼” XLR inputs at the top of the mixer, and in reality could even function as a 6th channel and extra master output for the Behringer XENYX 502 5 Channel Mixer.
Basic Rundown of the Behringer XENYX502 5-Channel Mixer
- Portable design, easy for storage and transport
- Compatibility with just about any sort of DJ setup.
- Five channels, could arguably be advertised as six.
- 1 Microphone input complete with XENYX preamp technology and EQs.
- Two stereo master output connections.
- Useful to musicians of all trades, not necessarily just DJs.
- Useful for any type of DJ.
- Wide frequency response of 10 Hz to over 200 kHz.
- Allows an easy, portable means of having extra channels and headroom.
- Dedicated microphone input with XENYX preamp technology and EQs.
- Lights above the “Main Mix” knob indicate how much headroom is left
- Critically-acclaimed with high ratings.
- VERY affordable.
- Only advertised as five channels because of the mono inputs.
- The microphone channel is the only one with EQs. Does not include “Mids.”
- No phantom power support for condensed microphones. You cannot use condensed microphones with this mixer.
- Can be confusing for a novice user, research and practice is required.
- More than likely, you will need to buy more cords and/or adapters to use this.
Basic Instructions on Setup
If you are sitting there with an all-in-one controller, wondering how you would even use this mixer, know that you will more than likely need to purchase a few more things to use this product.
If you haven’t already purchased an audio interface (also known as a soundcard), you might not have the outputs on your computer or controller to connect to this mixer. On any audio interface, you will have a “Main Out” which you would have to connect to the “Line In” on this mixer, which may require new adapters and/or cords.
Once you have your setup plugged into the “Line In” on the Behringer mixer, you would then need to plug in the PA system to the “Master Out” on the Behringer mixer.
This setup process can be very difficult for a beginner learning the basics of live audio.
What the Reviews Have Said:
The Behringer XENYX502 5-Channel Mixer has received excellent reviews from customers on Amazon. These reviews stem from musicians, recording artists, and DJs.
One DJ remarked that every DJ simply must have this mixer, another said that it’s portability and one pound design makes transport a breeze. All positive reviews, for the most part, discuss the great price of this mixer.
Negative reviews do point out some matters of concern though. For instance, you cannot use condenser microphones with this mixer because it does not have a phantom power button. A couple people also complained the power socket on the back of the device tends to slip out.
If these things concern you just use dynamic microphones with your setup, and tape the power cord in place to ensure it doesn’t slip out.
If you are considering purchasing a separate standalone mixer like the Behringer XENYX502 5-Channel Mixer, you have plenty of other options available.
If you want an affordable standalone mixer as a major part of your setup:
- Check out the Behringer DDM4000 or the Numark M6 USB.
If you want more channels and support for condenser microphones:
- Check out the Behringer XENYX 1202FX.
For a different brand with Bluetooth and condenser microphone support:
- Check out the Pyle Bluetooth 3-Channel Audio Mixer.
For a similar model with support for condenser microphones:
- Check out the Behringer XENYX Q502USB.
How much does the Behringer XENYX502 5-Channel Mixer cost?
- The mixer price ranges depending on where you purchase it from, but it is a very affordable piece of equipment and a must have for all DJs.
Where can I get this mixer?
- These monitors are currently available online from several merchants. At the time of writing the price is the same on Amazon.
Is there any type of warranty for this mixer?
- There is a two or four year “protection plan” offered to Amazon customers. Other online merchants also offer something similar.
How long does it take to ship these monitors?
- This mixer is included with Amazon Prime’s two-day shipping. If you do not have Amazon Prime, you can expect 5-7 business days for shipping.
The Behringer XENYX502 5-Channel Mixer is a great tool for any DJ to consider adding to their setup. It’s portability, connectivity, and cheap price are the main features that any purchaser of the product will find most beneficial.
The goal of this Behringer XENYX502 5-Channel Mixer review was to illustrate some of the benefits and drawbacks of a mixer like this to help our DJ audience make an informed purchase. If you are still considering this product, despite its setbacks and alternatives, be sure to check out some more information.