An exceptional DJ mixer calls for great sound quality, a whole range of track effects, flexible compatibility, solid connectivity, and an easy-to-comprehend interface. In this post, I’ll take you through a thorough Pioneer DJ DJM-900NXS2 review which checks all of these boxes. By the end, you should have a deeper insight into how and why this is one of the best DJ mixers on the market.
Table of Contents
Pioneer DJM-900NXS2 DJ Mixer Specs
- 4-channels, each with 3-band EQ
- Digital and analog inputs and outputs with gold-plated RCAs
- 64-bit/96kHz mixing processor
- Dual mic inputs with Talk Over mode and Beat FX
- 6 Color FX for transitions and 14 Beat FX with X-Pad
- Send/return loop for mixing effects
- Contact-free Magvel faders with adjustable curves
- Dual USB connections for laptop changeovers
- Pro DJ Link connectivity
- Full MIDI capabilities on-board
- Compatible with rekordbox DJ DVS Plus Pack
- Dimensions : 333 x 414.2 x 107.9 mm
- Weight : 8.0 kg
Pros of the DJM-900NXS2
- Dual USB ports allow for effortless DJ changeovers when both are using laptops
- Sound color effects coupled up with parameter knob and color knobs dedicated to each channel deliver superior track quality
- Beat FX with the amazing new frequency range lets you make more vivid music
- LED Indicators for Beat FX work wonders during performances
- Enhanced sound and crossfader
Cons of the DJM-900NXS2
- A little expensive
- Not compatible with Traktor DVS or Serato
High Quality 64-bit Sound
Performing with the digital resolution of 64-bit/96kHz is a one-of-a-kind experience. This is the first mixer from Pioneer to use a 64-bit processor, which produces a warmer, more natural sound.
There’s a reason many large venues and clubs choose the DJM-900NXS2 to complement their expensive sound systems — the high quality audio it delivers.
Amazing FX and Track Customization
The Pioneer DJM-900NXS2 comes with plenty of FX for you to customize and remix your tracks on the fly.
Up first, let’s discuss the Sound Color FX. These are a set of 6 FX — Sweep, Filter, Crush, Dub Echo, Noise, and Space — that are available on each of the mixer’s 4 channels. To fine-tune the FX, you can use the parameter control knob to apply a minimal effect or crank it to the max!
Next up, let’s discuss the X-Pad and its 14 Beat FX. If you’ve used any of the other Pioneer mixers, you’ll recognize many of the FX like Reverb, Flanger, Phaser, Roll, etc. The X-Pad allows you to adjust the parameters of the effects with a single finger.
One of my favorite features of this mixer is that it lets you isolate frequencies while applying the effects. Whether you’re interested in phasing out vocals or putting some slap on the hats – it’s all a piece of cake! There are LOW / MID / HIGH buttons that quickly enable you to select which frequencies you want to apply the FX to.
Best-in-Class Inputs & Outputs
Let’s discuss some of the key inputs and outputs of the Pioneer DJM-900NXS2. There are four sets of line RCA inputs, 2 microphone inputs, dual USB connectors for easy laptop changeovers, Pro DJ Link, and S/PDIF connectors for DJs with digital decks.
A send/return stereo loop increases the effects customization. On top of it all, you only need an iOs app such as RMX-1000 to connect the device to the mixer using USB. Now i can make use of an iPad to add effects to my music and emulate various functions of the unit with the help of any compatible app.
This can surely be called as one of the coolest revolutions in the world of managing and recording your music. For instance, i can now simply record my set using my iPad, or inject music samples, simply having a pre-recorded collection or backup ready even before the event venue gets filled up.
Not to forget, gold-plated terminals on all the audio connections of the mixer work wonders when it comes to ensuring that you get the best possible sound quality at all times.
In-Depth Features and Specifications
- Looking quite like most Pioneer mixers, DJM-900NXS2 sports 4 channels, huge Color FX knobs under each EQs set, mic controls towards the left and the chief FX on the right of the mixer.
- The overall color scheme of the mixer is a bit darker with a matte touch, shifting one of the mic sockets to the back and sacrificing the Midi socket in order to integrate the twin USBs. A basic look at the mixer will make you instantly know your way around the working if you are familiar with club gear.
- All you need to do to set up the mixer is to plug in the audio ins and outs before turning it on. You can sync the mixer up with CDJ-2000NXS2 players via a Pro DJ using a network switch.
- Once the syncing is done, you can go for laptop DJing by plugging Rekordbox DJ into the mixer, further communicating with both CDJs directly.
- Twin USBs are a boon when it comes to sharing your mixer with other DJs. Plugging the laptops in together is all the two DVS DJs need to share the mixer. This makes DJ switch-overs an extraordinarily smooth and convenient deal.
- The 64-bit/96 kHz mixing processor takes the credit for a detailed and unbelievably dynamic sound.
- The 2 headphones sockets are great, while the Magvel fader, which are far far better than the average faders found in most mixers.
- When it comes to frequency controls, the mixer comes with awesome 3-band EQs on each channel, allowing you to change between +6dB to -26dB or minus-infinity Isolator modes.
- The two sets of the indicator lights are one of the coolest things. The shit DJ lights per channel show that you are clipping your channels, while the “FX live” lights exhibit which channel are the Beat FX assigned to – a simple yet amazing feature when you share the mixer with another DJ.
Most users find setting up and updating the mixer firmware super easy to do, while also loving the rock-like structure of the same. Another factor that’s admired the most by the users is the simplified laying out of the different elements. Club DJs state that the handy send/return feature opens up doors for creativity in mixing for users that have external effects processors.
When it comes to whether the users are happy with the purchase, most of them are even willing to buy the mixer again in a heartbeat, if needed. Thanks to the amazing effect control and routing upgrades, users think that the working of mixers has been totally revamped, that too with little changes to the layout.
The hard-to-find negative aspects of the mixer, such as the mic port that has shifted to the back hardly affect a handful of users. Though, the mixer comes for a significant price, users say that they can feel the amazing sound quality every time they use it which makes it totally worth it!
Taking a look at each of the features of Pioneer DJM-900NXS2, we call it a perfect mixer for all your professional club and touring use. Here’s throwing some quick light on some of the prominent features :
- The 64-bit mixing processor
- Extensive EQ and FX controls
- The dual USB audio sources
- The wonderful accommodation of your DJ gear
In fact, what more can one ask for when every single button, knob, and fader on the mixer are oh so precise and incredibly smooth, making DJM-900NXS2 your new-found love in the world of DJing. It surely is the ultimate DJ system, yet being one that comes for a reasonable price for the kind of features it has got to offer! Click the link below to learn more or purchase a DJM-900NXS2 for yourself or venue.
|Pioneer DJ DJM-900NXS2 4-Channel DJ Mixer with Effects
|View on Amazon
Last update on 2024-02-18 at 01:01 // More Information